StoriesRPG - Scenes!
A downloadable TTRPG Boost
This is a two-page, printable approach to designing engaging, dramatic scenes for any story - whether one you choose to write out, or for a story game. Though designed to work with the StoriesRPG base game, it works with any tabletop RPG, breaking every scene into four parts:
- The Hook: A read-aloud description to set the scene!
- Explore: A list of things to describe and questions to ask to build the scene.
- Moves: Things characters in the story might try to affect the scene.
- Triumphs and Troubles: A list of possible outcomes that might result from Moves.
This helps kids learn to draft scenes in a story, teaching them to think in terms of descriptive introductions (Hook), details needed to build the scene (Explore), and how characters might engage and struggle with the scenario (Moves, Triumphs, and Troubles).
As a certified teacher, this approach has helped kids in my writing classes learn narrative structure, think about scenes as more than just battle, and take the reins as storytellers of their own.
If used with another game, such as D&D, just put in Moves that make sense for the system - skill checks, spells, or abilities that might help - and Triumphs and Troubles that work ("Ouch - lose 1d6 HP as a boulder hits you!").
Here's a quick library of links to all the StoriesRPG material:
THE GAME ...
- Core Rules: A one page RPG focused on helping players tell stories of drama, excitement, and adventure together. All you need is four 6-sided dice, paper, stuff to write with, and at least two people!
- Scenes: A tool for outlining scenes for stories or games that's easy, collaborative, and intuitive.
- Drama Clocks: Epic, spine-tingling, edge-of-your seat scenes where every Move counts - but without the violence!
- Power Ups: An approach to "powering up" where writing becomes joyous - a source of character growth and peer support!
- Teller Moves: A set of 16 quick-reference cards with strategies to help you run an engaging, collaborative, compelling, educational game for anyone!
- ArithMagine: An alternate mechanic for StoriesRPG that improves numeracy as you play!
- Starsworn: A monthly set of print and play, play to learn adventures with read-aloud passages, coloring book illustrations, maps, and even a set of podcast stories from StoriesPodcast that follow a group of heroes on a parallel quest! At 40 pages each, these play-at-home books are a steal!
- Chapter 1: Legends say magic came when the stars fell. At this year's Starfall fair, a group of everyday people will rise to become heroes when they fall again - and be swept up in grand and heroic events! Best of all? Chapter 1 is pay what you want - go grab a copy now!
- Chapter 2: The heroes must journey to the Far Swamp to seek the Frog Witch, the only sage wise enough to help them unlock their powers. But strange forces are at work, and the stars have caused great chaos across the land ...
- Chapter 3: The heroes are summoned on a great quest ... to go to school! The Celestial Conservatory promises to train them in the use of their Starsworn powers - but what secrets does it hide?
COMING SOON ...
- World Building: How to help kids build their own worlds, with their own lore and internal logic.
- Educator's Guide: This will be a longer work, and explain, step-by-step, strategies for using StoriesRPG to teach academic content in classrooms, including Common Core Standards, assessments, pacing guides, grouping strategies, and more!
Feel free to reach out with any questions, and hope this supplement boosts your stories to the next level!
In order to download this TTRPG Boost you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $1 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.